Monday, March 23, 2015

Happy π Day!

Christmas is my favorite holiday, and Easter is a very close second. But the third best holiday for the Pi Family is Pi Day!

In case you're not familiar with Pi Day, it rolls around each year on March 14th, or 3-14. Which correlates nicely to the approximation for pi of 3.14. However, this year's Pi Day was the best one since 1915. March 14th, 2015, 9:26:53 am. 3.141592653.

So in honor of the Pi Day of the century, we went all out for the celebration.


March 14th is also Albert Einstein's birthday. Micah is appropriately sporting a diaper named "Albert" that has math equations all over it. I thought about making him a shirt that read, "Come to the nerd side. We have π," but didn't get around to it. So he's shirtless. Maybe next year.

The day started with a well-rounded breakfast. Pancakes, eggs, and sausage. We made sure to use our pi glasses too!



I searched pinterest for some age-appropriate Pi Day activities for the boys, but didn't have much luck. So we came up with our own ideas. (Wait, I had my own, non-pinterest idea?!? I didn't know that was still possible!)

Jeremiah made a circle painting. It's actually the first kid artwork to be hung on the fridge!


I turned a cardboard box into an airplane...


...so the boys could be pi-lots!


Micah made a good co-pi-lot. Jeremiah loves this airplane. It's still hanging around more than a week later. He likes to sit in it and read or be pushed around (like we do with a laundry basket).


For lunch, we made mini pizzas.




Jeremiah also got to be a pi-rate!


I ran around in Apple π socks that were given to me by a math teacher friend.


The same friend sent me these awesome Pi Day nail wraps for my fingernails! I know you're jealous. Get your own.


And Pi Day just wouldn't be Pi Day without some pie! This year, I made two: peach and raspberry rhubarb. (I forgot to take a picture before cutting, so use your imagination. They had π cutouts on top.)


(Get it? I ate some pie.)



Call us irrational. Call us nerdy. We're the Pi Family!


No comments:

Post a Comment